Mkay? Mkay
- I have decided that I just can't be a crazy coupon lady. A of all, I do not have four hours in my day to which I can devote anything, much less clipping coupons and toodling through the interwebs to find the best deals. I also do not have any desire to stock up on seventy-two bottles of mustard, even if I can buy the lot for twelve cents. I cannot imagine a world in which seventy-two bottles of mustard make it into my shopping cart at one time, nor one in which I stock a closet solely with soda. I mean, I would give up soda for life if I could figure out an appropriate storage solution for my craft avalanche, so the idea of giving up an entirely good closet for soda makes my head explode. Plus, I have a sneaking suspicion that all the crazy coupon ladies are going to totally ruin it for the rest of us sane people who just want to take a few cents off our cereal price. I depend on coupons to allow me to buy my organic stuff (even if I don't have coupons for it, the savings on "regular" food means I don't feel remotely guilty for spending three dollars on frozen organic blueberries.) So don't mess it up for me, crazy coupon ladies, mkay?
- On a weirdly related note that kind of makes it seem like I AM a crazy coupon lady, I discovered Recipe.com a few days ago and it kind of rocks. It matches up items you enter into your shopping list not only with recipes, but also with specials in your area (to which, one assumes, you can match your coupons.) I always do a "big buy" at the beginning of every month, but it's nice to be able to see how deals come up in the middle of the month on random items that you might have forgotten, like bread. (I know. How do you forget fricking bread?)
- So, the other day I was remarking to Will that Americans talk about being free all the time, but in reality we are fricking shackled to grocery stores, electric companies, and our governments for every damn thing we have. (Pardon the language, but I'm reading The Long Winter again with the fams and the Ingalls' definition of "hard times" involves burning hay for heat and eating flour made by grinding seed wheat in a coffee grinder, so it makes my "Wahhhh, I can't buy as many books as I want any more" nonsense seem particularly stupid.) And Will goes, "Yeah, I have three ideas about that."
- His first idea was that he's going to rig up a manual pump to our well. We're on city water, but because the neighborhood is so relatively far out of town proper, most houses have wells. I'm pretty sure nobody uses theirs now; it's just not as conveeeeeeeenient. We had somebody out a few years ago to look at the thing, and he said he'd charge us what we considered a ridiculous amount of money to fix the pump so we could draw water from it. We said, "Erm. Thanks. No." And that was that. Turns out Will has been getting on the interwebs and finding out that one can fiddle with one's well and some PVC pipe and make a pump of sorts that would allow you to draw water from your well that you can use in an emergency. Will's idea is to use this pump as a chore for the children: they'll draw the water and carry it in the house for us to drink and to the garden for us to water it.
- Speaking of gardens, during this conversation, I also mentioned the Julie versus Oak Park fiasco. In case you haven't heard about this, there's a lady in Oak Park, Michigan who had the audacity to plant a vegetable garden in her front yard. And then the city sued her. It's insanity of the highest level, and you can read about it here from Julie's point of view. Anyway, I talked about how we sit on an acre of land and how it was crazy that we didn't grow as much food as we could on it, because there are folks who have much less than we do and who are being sued because of it. And he said, "I want to redo the garden." The garden this year sucks. I'll be honest. It got abominably hot really early this year and I'm afraid of brown widows and I just didn't get around to doing anything with it. I'm a loser. The only things really producing right now are my herb beds, which are putting forth a multitude of stuff. I made an attempt to weed out the beds last week, and in the course of doing so, uncovered a BLACK widow that had made a web between the side of the bed and the dirt. I killed her (extra points because she had racing stripes down her side!) and went inside and had the shakes. Because it was just one more (potentially lethal) point against boxed beds. Now, I love the tidiness of boxed beds, but to be honest, I have to say that I find them inconvenient and in many cases, inefficient. Unless you use pressure-treated wood (which risks chemical leaching) or stone (which would be cost prohibitive and labor-intense), you're going to risk termite infestation (check--luckily our termite protection covers the house, and our termite guy said we were safe) AND the need to redo the beds every few years. Our boards are now rotted and need to be replaced. Plus, the width of the beds made it hard for me to harvest things in the middle of the beds. PLUS, watering a boxed bed garden requires either inefficient overhead watering or a (cost and time-prohibitive) tube system. I DID have a tube system, but Frodo chewed it up. Sigh.
- This isn't actually a new list item, but whew, that was getting to be a longggg paragraph. Anyway, I figured Will would be all, "We need to gut the garden and plant grass." But nooooo. Instead, he said, "We need to dismantle the boxes and put a fence around it and get some compost and add some space to it and plant it and lay down some irrigation for it and use it as a chore for the kids." Blink. Blink blink. Y'all, this man does not LIKE vegetables. He has hated the garden this year because of the weeds and untidiness, so I can't imagine why all of a sudden he's all, "Let's plant some shit, yo." But he IS. Far be it for me to deny him his veggies and the kids their chores. We're making plans and he's going to help me dismantle the boxes soon. (I will be wearing chain mail and carrying a can of spider spray, because I can't help but think that we'll find more spiders. Like the one we killed yesterday hanging from our dining room window. I'd show you pictures, but I have not the energy to load it from my camera.)
- Now here's where things get truly bizarre. Will goes, "My third thing is...I want to build a chicken coop. And get chickens. Two of them." Um. WHAT? I mean, yay, chickens! But also...WHAT? I don't know when the spirit of Wendell Berry possessed my husband (and, no, Berry isn't dead, but work with me here), but all I have to say is, it's hot. Like, come over here and talk tomato varieties, big boy. Pump that well, baby. PUMP IT.
- Ahahahahahahaa!
- Sorry.
- I couldn't help myself.
- (But seriously, isn't it weird that Will's all Greeny O'Homesteadface? AND--he's started coupon shopping for me occasionally.) Bi to the zarre.
- Sexy, but bizarre.
- I think it's best I stop here, don't you?
8 comments:
im always worried that the insane couponers are going to ruin it for us too. and frankly i look down on them for their continuous attempts at getting something for nothing. (i know that sounds terrible, but its true.)and i doont mean the average couponer or someone who gets the occasional awesome deal, but i think someone is going to have to pay for the fact that the crazies get $150 worth of groceries for $7 and i worry that its going to be me. i do use coupons but on average i usually only save between $10-$20 on a $200+ bill. and like you i use that extra money to buy things i may not otherwise think fit in the budget.
also, you know a lot of Tammies.
i like the idea of google plus too. not sure if i want another time suck though......
Well I can tell you right now that the scattered thing has everything to do with britches. GIVE THEM UP.
Totally understand abandoned gardens, though for me it is more my neglectful nature. We have brown recluses here, but no widows. Widows don't like winter, I think.
Also understand the can't coupon thing. I have no time and my husband would leave me over stockpiles of stuff.
But YAY for your hubby coming off all sexy victory garden man.
(erm... and did you know I am a Tami, too? I just don't use it for my writing stuff)
I do coupons too, but only for like 2-3 bottles of mustard as opposed to 20 or more. *L* It takes a lot less time if you're only looking at getting one or two coupons. I only clip for stuff that we actually USE or EAT instead of stocking up on random junk that we'd never use. And I only do it when I feel like it. *L* But I'm like Tammie(irregular) I usually am excited if I save more than $10 off a grocery bill.
It's awesome that he's wanting to do all that. And yeah I am on the same page with all of you on the couponing thing. Eventually someone has to pay for all those groceries they're getting for free and it's almost assured it's going to be the rest of us.
And Michelle Bachmann makes anyone with brain cells chafe.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks the crazy coupon people are going to mess stuff up for the rest of us.
I remember the noise a pile of boys can make. Good on you for being able to put a list together. There were days when I had a houseful of boys and the only things I could put together were gin and tonic.
Still not ready to give up facebook, but only because new things scare me. Circles are awesome, but I'm not sure I have the brains or organizational skills to keep them spinning, you know?
As for Tammies... Personally, I think everyone should have at least ONE Tammie to call their very own. I know I do love mine... :)
Yay gardening! We're hoping to get going on it next year. Your observations on boxed gardens are interesting. We're going to try container gardening (small, portable containers). Tam read a really cool book on the subject so now we're collecting appropriate plant-holders.
Are you drinking tequila or rum lemon? Just wondering. ;-)
I'll have what you're having. Haha. Actually, make it a double.
I can't believe that woman was sued for planting a vegetable garden. That's just wrong. I'd love to have enough land to live completely off the grid. Wouldn't it be amazing? Get that garden going, woman.
Oh, and you rock!!!
Post a Comment