Pages

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Tomes On Tuesday: A Veritable Slew of Books to Review

Some of you have noted that I seem to be in a reading slump and I've mentioned before that I keep trying to find the next series, the next book, the next STORY that will hold my attention and not make me want to give up and run sobbing across the room, tearing at my clothes and hair.

What?

Oh, sorry.  I was just having a flashback to the one book I've read recently that made me do that.  Let's go ahead and get that one over with:

Swamplandia by Karen Russell ~ I read this one based on the blurb read to me by my beloved Miz Mary, who rarely steers me wrong in terms of the Arts.  The blurb she read made this book sound like a modern hero's quest, featuring a plucky young protagonist, a weirdo family, and theme parks based around alligators and Hell.  I mean, come ON.  The front cover was nice, too, so I picked it up.   I sort of wish I hadn't.  As I started reading it, I thought, "And it's even magical realism.  Huzzah!" because that's what I thought it was.  A few pages in, I was starting to have my doubts.  I was also starting to be exhausted by the florid language.  I know, right?  Me?  Exhausted by florid language??  Yes, children.  Every other word seemed to be an adjective or metaphor, and that would be okay IF the magical realism thing had held up.  But a few chapters in, I knew that the magical realism thing was most certainly not going to hold up.  I kept waiting for the magic to kick in--there NEEDED to be myth in this story.  But it never showed up completely and the climax of the book--which I had called depressingly several pages beforehand--pretty much just burned every bit of myth out of that sucker.  The headlong sprint toward the resolution further stomped all over the mythological elements so that by the end of the book, in which everything got tied up in a boring brown bow, I tossed the book across the room and called Miz Mary.  "It's like Karen Russell wrote this huge, Southern, magical hero's quest and some editor got ahold of it and made her rip all of the mythy bits out," I complained.  Miz Mary agreed and added the rejoinder that it seemed to go even farther and underline the fact that believing in magic or something that might not be a tangible or normal part of this world will get you killed or ruin your life.  In the end, I came as close to hating a book as I have in a long time, and while I guess there's something to be said for a book that makes you feel such strong emotion, there's also something to be said for not shredding the hero quest archetype to ribbons, thankyouverymuch.

So, yeah, that one didn't do it for me.  BUT then I managed to get my paws on a veritable treasure chest of lovely stories that made me sigh happily and not want to leave the library.  Not all of these are new books  (and one is pretty old), but every single one of them has found a place amongst my book friends. I mean this in a metaphorical sense, because I don't have any more room on my shelves.  Sigh.

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater ~  Y'all know how I feel about this series, right?  If it was technically possible to tongue-kiss a series, I would totally bend this one over backwards and plant a big one right on its face. This has a lot to do with how well Mags writes her some teenage boys.  Teenage boys, as I'm sure you'll remember from high school, can be complete and utter asshats.  The good ones, therefore, are golden and Stiefvater has gotten herself a couple in this book who are simply perfect.  Not perfect as in, "So good you kind of want to barf on them" but perfect as in "prickly and sarcastic and flawed and morose and sweet and precious and...wait...do I have a crush on a werewolf in a teen novel?  Greeaaat." way.  Ahem.  This finale was told in Stiefvater's switch-up-the-narrator style, which she does well.  I sometimes find this voice disconcerting, but here, because the story is rocketing along AND stopping and starting, it works.  I adore Sam, the "main" boy, but Cole, the "bad" boy, gets a lot of play here, too--in fact, the dudes kind of take center stage.  The female protagonist, Grace, who spends the first part of the book as a wolf, seems almost a ghost of herself here, but again, it works, because there is the very real sense that Grace is disappearing, losing all of her that is girl and capable of being with Sam.  The final few chapters laid WASTE to me, in a good, cathartic, tear-snorting way--but also in a DAMN, life isn't fair way.  In the end, there isn't really an end, and while this usually bugs the crap out of me, I liked the open-endedness of it, and the fact that, in spite everything, maybe true love does win.  Maybe.  At least there's hope for it.  Um.  How many of y'all cry when you write a book review?  (Read this book and series and then eat a cookie.  It worked for me.)

Green Angel  and Green Witch  by Alice Hoffman ~ Let me break this down for you, okay?  Teen literature, magical realism, gardening, AND post-Armaggedonish.  WHAT?  Oh, oh...and these two books were written by Alice Hoffman, famous for Practical Magic  and first beloved by me for Here on Earth, which retold Wuthering Heights in such a way that, really, there's no way to pretend that Heathcliff wasn't a gigantic, awful person.  Anyway, I read these two slim novels as one normal-sized novel, and encourage you to do the same, with maybe a break in between to bathe or something.  Here's the deal:  Green is a quiet, normal kind of girl who knows the secrets of gardening.  She is left behind when her family goes to town, and is utterly destroyed when her family dies in a cataclysm.  I know, it sounds like I just spoiled the book for you, but that cataclysm is really only a tiny, itsy part in Green's story.  Well, I mean, it's CENTRAL to her story, but what is important about her story is not how she is destroyed, but how she rebuilds.  THIS is a hero's quest dripping and stinging and burning with magic.  There is so much pain and dirt and sadness that it seems sometimes as if you are being dragged behind Green as she sifts through the ashes, but there is never the sense that the dragging will go on forever.  The imagery in this story is beautiful, as it always is with Hoffman, and the magic is perfectly mixed with the reality of strong emotions.  I will caution you that Green Witch veers fairly sharply into straight-up fantasy, which was okay with me, of course, but might be a little jarring for some readers.  If you've ever read Lois Lowery's The Giver series, you'll understand when I say that Hoffman makes the transition from genre to genre much more smoothly than Lowry did.  (However, if you didn't read The Giver series, I have to ask you "Why?" and "Have you lost your head?" and "Why aren't you running out to get this series right now?")  This is a beautifully told, hopeful, and sweet story that will stay with me for a long time.

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury ~ I'm pretty sure that it's some sort of sin for me as a former literature teacher and a lover of all things fantasy  not to have read this book of short stories until now.    I adored Fahrenheit 451 and when I taught "There Will Come Soft Rains" (which is in the book) one year, I had to go back to my desk so I could put my head down and cry for a few moments.  (My students were ALWAYS entertained.)  But, somehow, I never got around to reading the entire thing.  I could kick myself at the deliciousness I've been missing.  Let me tell you something about "literature":  it sucks, sometimes.  I'm thinking specifically of Thomas Hardy as I write this.  I know there are some people who ADORE Thomas Hardy's novels (my husband comes to mind), but for me, reading them is like wading through cold bogs of groats, suffering from a sore throat and a propensity for making bad choices.  Blech.  I like Hardy's poems, which are generally no more cheery than his novels, but at least the misery is condensed into a few lines which can be read in one sitting followed by a few Vitamin D tablets and maybe a shot of spiced rum.  God, where was I going with this?  Oh, right, the short story as a delivery system for literature:  it rocks.  You get all of the literary conventions in one tidy package, entire stories laid out and rolled up for you in one sitting.  I'm trying to figure out how to combine packages and apparently rugs and how awesome these stories are into a metaphor that doesn't involve you all feasting on packages, but I can't seem to do it, so let me just say, read this collection.  I shivered and cringed and laughed and sighed and sniffled and despaired and did some fist pumps the entire time I read.  I honestly don't think I can say that there were any stories here that didn't engender a visceral reaction in me.  Bradbury's dialogue occasionally reads a little bit like a 1940's movie script, but that's okay with me.  (It drives Will crazy, but he likes Faulkner's novels, so I don't even listen to him when he goes there.)  It suits the stories just fine.  What's particularly remarkable about this collection is that it traces a timeline:  the founding of an Earth colony on Mars all the way up to the defining moment of Earth history that makes Mars permanently home.  Every story is a step toward the end.  I don't know if I'd call the last story "happy," but it is hopeful, and that really seems to be the theme of my reading this summer.  Love this book.  Love.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman ~ I've seen this novel in the bookstore and been told that I simply must read it and thought about reading it and never actually gotten around to reading it until this summer, and GAH what a mistake I made in buying that first book and not this one.  Oh, Neil Gaiman.  What a story this is.  I mean...really.  Nutshell:  baby's family is murdered, baby escapes to graveyard, baby is raised by ghosts.  What?  Yes, ghosts.  They name him Nobody and raise him up as best as a bunch of long-dead people can.  He turns out great, by the way.  If that was the whole story, honestly, it would be enough for me.  But it's NOT the whole story.  Underlying Nobody's life is an interconnected web of stories and characters and archetypes, all of whom are invested in this boy's survival--or his death.  I love when character archetypes are turned on their ear (which Gaiman does with vampires, werewolves, and witches here), but I also love when they are reinforced, and Gaiman reinforces the hell out of ghosts and mothers here.  This book won about seventy bajillion awards, including the Newbery Medal, which it deserved in a way I'm not sure a lot of Medal winners have recently.  I loved this book.  Loved it.  I loved this book so much that when I heard the movie version had stalled, I breathed a little sigh of relief.  (I still haven't gotten over them casting Lenny Kravitz in The Hunger Games.  I'm not sure I ever will.)  My goodness, it's so good.

Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief  by Rick Riordan ~  I know, I know.  It's taken me a while to get to this series, probably because so many people called it the next Harry Potter and I was all, "Oh, no, they DI-INT."  There will be no next Harry Potter, y'all.  Okay?  Just saying.  Anyway, I stayed away, which is weird for me, because young hero on a quest with Greek gods thrown in?  Yeah.  Right up my alley.  But it was only until I saw the movie that I decided to read the book.  (About the movie.  Okay, I'm not sure it was, like, a stunner or anything, but it featured Sean Bean, who I like, as Zeus.  It also featured Kevin McKidd as Poseidon, and I'm sure he was great in the role, but I was too busy drooling into my popcorn over his godly self to really notice his performance.  Helllloooo, Mr. Poseidon.  Rawr.)  I'm glad I read it.  I mean, I'm not going to say it changed my life or anything, but it's well-written and clever, and a great way to introduce kids to Greek mythology, I think.  The deal is:  the gods and goddesses fathered (or mothered) children with humans and these demigod kidlets are hunted down by various monsters and baddies.  A refuge of sorts has been set up for these demigodlets (I slay myself) so they can learn about their powers and stay safe in the meantime.  One really neat-o thing, I thought, was that Percy Jackson had ADHD and behavior problems--which turned out to be manifestations of his god-blood.  Talk about a great way to snag kids with these particular challenges.  The story is fast-paced, as Percy and his pals set out to find the titular lightning of Zeus, which has been stolen.  The catch is that it must be found right quick or there'll be a war between the gods.  The Percy of the story is younger than the Percy of the movie, but the story is more intricate than the movie, so in some weird way that is probably entirely in my head, it all works out.  Great read-aloud book for the nine- and ten-year-old set, particularly the boys, I think.

What have you been reading?

12 comments:

Meghan said...

I'm reading "Strange As This Weather Has Been" by Ann Pancake. It's about mountaintop removal mining in West Virginia. But it's also about family and living off the land for generations. The story is told by different characters, but mainly centers on Lace See and her kids.

I feel like I've just given an inadequate book report in elementary school.

Anonymous said...

Phew, so much to say!

First, I ordered Nocturne because of your review, so I'm looking forward to reading that very soon =)

Second, Martian Chronicles is one of my all time favourite books...I have to return to it every few years... love love love it.

Third, Percy Jackson is a HUGE favourite in this house. We've finished the series, started the sequel (Heroes of Olympus) and also started the Egyptian series: Kane Chronicles.

It's because of Percy Jackson that my Thadd answered the call of Poseidon and Hephaestus. (got a few post written about that...)

And yes...I had the exact same reaction as you "Hellllo, Mr. Poseidon!" If that's what He looks like, I'm a life long devotee ;-)

Right now I'm working my way through the Game of Thrones (really called Song of Ice and Fire series). It's goood: full of myth, magic, heroes, villians.

Not Hannah said...

Ooh, cool, Meghan. Well, not cool, because, you know, mountain top removal mining sucks, but I love Appalachia stories. You need to throw in more words like "crap." Also, maybe some ellipses or exclamation points. THAT makes book reviews better.

Cora: Yay! I hope you like it. MC = love. I remember reading that on your blog--don't know if it will have the same affect on The Bug. Seriously, Kevin McKidd is too hot. It just must be said. I've read the Game of Thrones books, but it's been a while. I need to get them again the next go 'round at the library.

Melissa said...

here's a few things that I've read recently that I think you'd like:

1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. This is YA: magical realism of the first order. each chapter is accompanied by a rather bizarre vintage photograph that complements the story.

2. The Magician King by Lev Grossman. Before you read this, though, you should read The Magicians by the same author.

3. Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson. This is about a woman who forgets her entire life every morning when she wakes up. I read it in one day, and so has every friend I recommended it to!

I'm currently reading The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson. It's about growing up in a really bizarre family of performance artists.

I'm anxiously awaiting Haruki Murakami's new book due out in October, 1Q84.

You really need to read The Name of the Wind.

Melissa said...

Review of The Name of the Wind from Publishers Weekly. I couldn't think of a ghood way to sum it up, but they do it nicely:
-----------

Starred Review. The originality of Rothfuss's outstanding debut fantasy, the first of a trilogy, lies less in its unnamed imaginary world than in its precise execution. Kvothe ("pronounced nearly the same as 'Quothe' "), the hero and villain of a thousand tales who's presumed dead, lives as the simple proprietor of the Waystone Inn under an assumed name. Prompted by a biographer called Chronicler who realizes his true identity, Kvothe starts to tell his life story. From his upbringing as an actor in his family's traveling troupe of magicians, jugglers and jesters, the Edema Ruh, to feral child on the streets of the vast port city of Tarbean, then his education at "the University," Kvothe is driven by twin imperatives—his desire to learn the higher magic of naming and his need to discover as much as possible about the Chandrian, the demons of legend who murdered his family. As absorbing on a second reading as it is on the first, this is the type of assured, rich first novel most writers can only dream of producing. The fantasy world has a new star.

Anonymous said...

For magical realism I recommend Sarah Addison Allen's The Suager Queen and Garden Spells.

The magical realism and mythos are the fabric of the stories tapestry...magic is alive and breathing, infused in families, food, and plants.

Nulaanne said...

I an doing the RIP reading challenge right now. So, I am reading mystery, goth, and a few other books.

One set I have been reading, I love it so much I am reading outloud to my Honey Love, it the Iron Druid set.

Good book hunting.

Rachel said...

Great reviews. We've enjoyed the Percy Jackson movie so I think I will get the book for my almost 9yr old (we're currently working through the "How to train your Dragon" series.)
PS. I read the Sugar Queen too and thoroughly recommend it.

Alexis Kennedy said...

Have I told you lately just how much I ADORE your blog posts? If not, consider yourself told. My last book was "The Fifth Sacred Thing" and I was totally disappointed in it. I haven't had time to get into anything new lately. Hoping for a calmer September so I can read a bit. Loved these reviews!

Not Hannah said...

Missy, I'm sending Will to the library with a list. (The school library is better than the public one. Sigh.)

Cora, I've read both Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen and LOVE them both. Book friends! Huzzah! Then I went out and got The Peach Keeper and it just left me cold. So disappointing. Have you read it?

Not Hannah said...

Nulaane, the Iron Druid series sounds clever. Might have to put them on the list...

Rachel, I haven't read the series. Wikipedia says it's completely different from the movie...might have to check it out for the JMan.

Kallan, mmmmmwah! (Thanks!)

nan_o_monster said...

Recently finished "Forever"...I would like to add that my crush on Cole feels as dirty as my Riggins Crush. (Dear God, how could you *not* crush on Tim Riggins if you have functioning eyeballs?)...So, I'm adding my two word review of "Forever" - Serious hotness.

Just read the first 78 pages of Maureen Johnson's "The Name Of The Star". To use her twitter style, this was my response: *shakes iPad in attempt to make more words appear*. I'll find and post the preview link.
Short summary: Independent, cool teenage girl from Louisiana goes to school in London. Same day that she arrives, a series of Jack the Ripper murders begin. Of course her school is in Whitechapel,so she's right in the thick of things. There's a unique twist(which surprised me, so I won't give it away) that really hooked me. Hmm, finding link now, much better than my somewhat incoherent explanation.

Here is the link to the first 78 pages: http://www.scribd.com/doc/63600546/The-Name-of-the-Star-Shades-of-London-1-by-Maureen-Johnson

Also, twitter: @maureenjohnson
How to describe?? If someone combined you, me, Mary, and Morgan at the height of our craziest moments added some extra caffeine and some pixie stix, then confined the hybrid us to 140 characters. Yes, its that insane.
For anyone else reading this: Imagine yourself and your craziest friends rolled into one and add a hyperactive Yorkie or two, then go check out @maureenjohnson!
Her books are coherent and very cool, so check out the link.

Also, Just finished "Anna Dressed In Blood" by Kendare Blake. Scary, in a creepy I'm-still-looking-over -my-shoulder kind of way. I think I love it, but I'm too creeped out to be sure, yet.

Work beckons. Must proof-read fast. If you want more info on anything (anybody), let me know.