Here's what I'm thinking:
- Sooooo, Herman Cain likens himself to Moses. Moses? Really? Herman Cain's going to lead a group of folks to freedom? Freedom from what? An endless baseball season? Too many silly band varieties? The horrors of a Footloose remake? I'm not trying to be ugly, but I'm not sure that the ills of America, although, you know, ill and stuff, really compare with bringing plagues to Egypt in order to free an entire ethnic group from slavery and then leading said group into the promised land. Plus, what are you going to do for manna, Hermain Cain? Pizza? Bread sticks? (Herman Cain makes my skin crawl.)
- Also making my skin crawl? Joe the Plumber running for Congress. Perhaps THIS is what Herman Cain is meant to lead us from. Or, no...wait. Maybe he's supposed to lead all of the eejits who think they are qualified to be representatives of the people into the desert. (Yes, I realize this means that we're going to be missing a gigantic chunk of our government soon. I'm counting on Olympia Snowe to lead us on...)
- Speaking of Olympia Snowe, why are my grey hairs curly? I have about six now and they're all, "Hey, let's stand out even more by being all sproingy whereas the rest of your hair is flat as a board." No, grey hairs. Let's not.
- I didn't think it was possible, but I've officially reached a point where eating another of V's barbecue sandwiches is enough to make me feel queasy. I think I've had seventeen. All topped with blue-cheese cole slaw.
- Why do so many Dutch foods call for cabbage or potatoes or apples? Is it a food storage thing, do you reckon?
- I actually only know, like, two recipes that call for this, which makes them the majority of my Dutch recipes. Oma's boterkoek calls for none of these things. It does, however, feature ginger.
- I've never made Oma's boterkoek. I have, however, made Romelle's pineapple casserole, which is the bomb dot com. It is now a holiday staple. I probably need to make some boterkoek, just to say that I've done it.
- I'd also like to make a cheesecake. I've never made a cheesecake, because it seems pointlessly difficult. Like...there are different kinds of pans and heating woes. Cake should be easy, right?
- Cake should be easy.
- You know what isn't easy? Writing a blog post every night. But I did it.
- Huzzah.
7 comments:
I have the pans and the passion for cheesecake. I'll bring both to New Years if you like. Thanks for having us last weekend. We have missed y'all terribly and can't wait to do it again soon.
My gray hairs are sproingy too. Sigh.
Would Herman Cain make your skin crawl less if he could lead your gray hairs to straighten out and lay down the knowledge of how to make making cheesecake a piece of cake?
Look for the recipe for no-bake cheesecake...it's extremely easy and delicious...
No bake cheesecake is uber-simple - just stir stuff together and abandon in the fridge for 8 hours.
The easiest baked version I know is this:
3 packets cream cheese
tub of double or whipping cream
Juice of 3 lemons
two eggs
half to one cup castor sugar (depends on your tolerance)
Biscuit base
Beat the cheese until soft. Beat in the eggs and sugar. Beat in the cream. Beat in the lemons until the whole thing starts to thicken a little.
Tip in springform tin over the biscuit base. Bake on medium for about an hour and 10 minutes or until it looks cooked.
You can always go wild and throw some raspberries in there too.
Well said. So far, the blogging comments have been far more cogent than anything I've heard or read in the media. Excellent.
I know someone who can help with the cheesecake. Do you have a good toilet? He'll need that...
Post a Comment