A few years ago, I wrote a post about a ramp for Jeffrey. It was an angry post, a bitter post that was fed by two years of frustration with the school system, with my friemily, with the world at large that didn't understand what it was that we were going through with the Asperger's diagnosis. I was just exhausted by it all and I was at my wits' end.
Cut to the present...or more accurately, a few months ago when we were planning our trip to Disney World. Betsy mentioned to Will that one of her friends had told her about handicap access at Disney properties and she made the suggestion to him that perhaps he should check out if there were any autism modifications. Various searches lead him to realizing that with a doctor's note, families of autistic children could get a special pass that would allow them to bypass the long lines that would be difficult for their kids. It wouldn't eliminate wait times, but it could shorten them considerably.
We decided to try to get one of these passes. It was a hard decision for us to make. You have to understand: we've spent the last few years pushing Jeffrey. We've pushed him not to be normal, but to live up to all of the vast potential inside him. We have taught him behavior modification techniques, we've encouraged him to be patient, to utilize focusing tools. We've involved him in extracurricular activities and tried so very, very hard to help him to see his Asperger's as a gift and not something that holds him back. We don't see it as something to be cured (although we respect the folks that do), but rather as something that is a challenge and an opportunity. So calling it a handicap was...hard.
On the other hand, the idea of standing in line with Jeffrey in the sun at an amusement park with children screaming around him and smells wafting past him for an HOUR or more made me want to fall over. So we got the doctor's note. It was awful to ask for it, but the doctor was all, "Wow. That's pretty awesome, hunh?" I muttered thank you and stowed the note away as quickly as possible.
That first day at Disney World, standing outside Epcot, Will went to the Visitor Center. We were apprehensive. Things couldn't be this easy. We thought that MAYBE one of us would be able to bypass the lines with Jeffrey and we'd have a sort of lopsided vacation, with half of the family doing one thing and half of the family doing the other. I worried--privately--that the staff would look at my normal-looking kid and go, "Uh, no. Sorry."
Will came back with the pass, looking a little dazed. He said, "They were totally cool with it. They said just to show it to the cast member at the front of the rides." We looked at each other. Really, this couldn't be this easy. It NEVER had been before.
We made it into Epcot and pulled out our map and headed for our first ride. Do you know, I can't even remember what it was, now? (Jeffrey, that font of knowledge, says it was the Nemo ride.) Will had the pass in his hand and we made our way over to a cast member (that's what they call the workers at Disney, by the way.) I was so nervous and embarrassed. It felt humiliating to do this, it felt like cheating. I hung back with the kids, holding their hands so tight, ready to turn and walk away if it didn't work.
But it did. Will motioned at us and we walked forward and the smiling cast member directed us to a...ramp. Free of people and obstacles, it lead straight up to the ride queue. Oh, our kids were so excited. I watched Jeffrey gallumping up the ramp, waving his arms and laughing with River and...y'all...I cried.
I couldn't help it. Here was our ramp. Here was our easy way to what other people did every day with ease. I grabbed Will's hand and we held on tight to each other.
I said, "We earned this. We've all earned this."
And we have. All of the phone calls and the visits to the school and the medications and the meetings and the charts and lists and ABA practices, all of the angry stares as Jeffrey melted down in a grocery store, all of the times River couldn't get attention because Jeffrey had to be served AT THAT MOMENT, all of the frustration of seven years became worth it. The embarrassment fell away. We weren't cheating. We were taking part in the magic like everybody else.
It was wonderful. I mean it. Disney really does everything better than anybody else. Every thing that place did was designed to make things easy and magic and special for everybody.
For those two days, we really were at the most magical place on earth.
12 comments:
Oh, sweetie (and all of your sweeties) I'm so happy for you. What a marvelous time you were able to have. Bless you for taking that step and for accepting it with open arms. You ALL deserve it.
Love you...
Oh my gosh, Heather. As one of the grandmothers of your most precious and special little boy who is so loved by me and his granddaddy, I was moved to tears by this entry. I have always known Disney was also special. He was special when I was a kid. He opened a whole world of wonder for children and adults. To know that the world can be magic for all children and their families is just marvelous. I am so very happy that you, Will, Jeffrey, and our other most precious and most loved granddaughter River, deserved all the special things that were given to you guys. Love you so much. Mom and Grammy
Oh my gosh, Heather. As one of the grandmothers of your most precious and special little boy who is so loved by me and his granddaddy, I was moved to tears by this entry. I have always known Disney was also special. He was special when I was a kid. He opened a whole world of wonder for children and adults. To know that the world can be magic for all children and their families is just marvelous. I am so very happy that you, Will, Jeffrey, and our other most precious and most loved granddaughter River, deserved all the special things that were given to you guys. Love you so much. Mom and Grammy
im so happy for you and your family.
every once in a while, something should be easy.
I got all choked up for you guys! XOXO
That was so heart warming to read. I'm so happy for you!
That is amazing - kudos to Disney for acknowledging this need and taking the steps to allow ALL families to have a special experience. I felt a little weepy just reading this!
I had no idea Disney had this sort of thing for kids who have special needs that aren't visible. That's really good to know - I'm glad your vacation went so well!
That's awesome! (And you did deserve it...every minute of it!)
I haven't been visiting blogs for quite a while, but I came to yours on a whim today. How wonderful that you treated you all so well! My grandson has autism and is, at 7 (almost 8) still fairly low functioning. I can't imagine taking him somewhere where he had to wait in 50 minutes lines for a 60 second ride. I used to live in Central FL. We went often to Disney and/or Epcot. Going to the front of the line? BLISS!
You totally deserved every bit of happiness that you got! I got teary eyed just reading about your experience. I love you so much Heather! You are such an amazing woman! Jeffery deserves a wonderful mom like you. River is a special girl too! I just love hearing all of your stories about your wonderful kids!
Post a Comment