After slogging through it, I came across a site called White People Mourning Romney. It's meant to be funny, but it jarred me, because I realized that, for whatever reason, people are actually afraid and in mourning. Somehow, the democratic process that we cherish in this country has undone roughly half of our nation. And that half is afraid. And fear is the mind killer, y'all.
I don't have advice for those people. I am at a loss as to what to say to such legitimate grief and fear.
I wanted to put up some advice to those of us who voted for the president describing how they can help the hurting fearful ones, but as I was writing the list out, I realized...there wasn't any point. My advice--things like "be active in our communities, go to church, be kind"--is what so many of us do that I realized that it would sound ridiculous. I don't need to tell my fellow liberals and progressives to be active, caring, responsible citizens because, by and large, we ARE.
So here's what I want to say to my fellow citizens who are afraid and hurting:
I'm sorry that you think that I've killed our country. I hope that if you think the end of the world is coming, it brings you peace. I wish that I could give you a hug and invite you to my house for hot tea and some cookies. We could watch the kids play in the backyard and talk about crocheting. Or, since so many of you are so young and full of hate, I would give you some advice about applying to college. Or treating your girlfriend better. Or why the movie Friday is the perfect way to remember about seventeen literary devices .
I don't want to have to explain why I voted for the president. It has to do with a lot of things: my belief that my brother and friends should be able to get the same legal protection that Will and I have in our relationship, my belief that our environment is going to destroy us if we don't stop destroying it, my belief that your god shouldn't dictate my life if I don't want him to. It has nothing to do with hating my country.
I don't want to have to explain why I voted for the president. It has to do with a lot of things: my belief that my brother and friends should be able to get the same legal protection that Will and I have in our relationship, my belief that our environment is going to destroy us if we don't stop destroying it, my belief that your god shouldn't dictate my life if I don't want him to. It has nothing to do with hating my country.
I'm sorry my vote has hurt you. I mean that sincerely. My vote was not about hurting anybody or denying anybody anything. It was not about shirking my responsibility or encouraging others to do so. It wasn't about food stamps or welfare or free cell phones.
I'm sorry you are afraid. I'm sorry you are angry. I remember feeling that way before because of an election. I didn't think it meant the end of the world, but I remember thinking that the president would destroy our country.
The thing is, he didn't. Bless his heart, I think he's an idiot, but he didn't destroy our country. Our government CAN'T destroy our country. We are the only ones who can do that.
It isn't the government calling people n-words. That's us. It isn't the government promising God's vengeance on our country. That's us. It isn't the government gloating about our victory. That's us. (The president cried in front of campaign volunteers as he thanked them. We're posting pictures of Boehner crying with clever puns over his head.) It isn't the government talking about shooting people for their vote. That's us.
The government isn't our problem. We are our problem. We have forgotten how to talk to each other. We have become really bad at being good citizens. We have become dependent on tragedies to make us see the good in each other. We have allowed the luxuries we have to make us skeptical of those who want those luxuries. We have forgotten that the sacrifices others made down the long line of history, the sacrifices of the Founding Fathers, the runaway slaves, the suffragettes, the Freedom Riders, the thousands and thousands of soldiers and seamen and airmen--they were for all of us. Each of us was given the right to vote for our presidential candidate by the blood and sweat and hard work of somebody else. (And yes, that includes rich, white, male landowners. You think aristocrats in Colonial America got to vote for the King? Nope. That was one of the reasons we fought the Revolutionary War.)
Who sacrificed him or herself for my vote? Why are you dishonoring that person by claiming that my vote will destroy the country that person fought for?
Who fought for your neighbor's right to vote? Why are you dishonoring that person by gloating over the fact that your neighbor's candidate lost?
The government isn't our problem. We are our problem. We have forgotten how to talk to each other. We have become really bad at being good citizens. We have become dependent on tragedies to make us see the good in each other. We have allowed the luxuries we have to make us skeptical of those who want those luxuries. We have forgotten that the sacrifices others made down the long line of history, the sacrifices of the Founding Fathers, the runaway slaves, the suffragettes, the Freedom Riders, the thousands and thousands of soldiers and seamen and airmen--they were for all of us. Each of us was given the right to vote for our presidential candidate by the blood and sweat and hard work of somebody else. (And yes, that includes rich, white, male landowners. You think aristocrats in Colonial America got to vote for the King? Nope. That was one of the reasons we fought the Revolutionary War.)
Who sacrificed him or herself for my vote? Why are you dishonoring that person by claiming that my vote will destroy the country that person fought for?
Who fought for your neighbor's right to vote? Why are you dishonoring that person by gloating over the fact that your neighbor's candidate lost?
We are in a heap of trouble right now, but it isn't because of our government. It is because we, as a people, have forgotten the honor and privilege it is to live in a country where not only do we get to vote, but others gave up their lives to ensure that right.
America is not over. America is changing. It has changed before. It will change again. Stasis is not found in nature and it's not found in society. It's not found in YOU, whether you are a Democrat or a Republican, and Independent or a Communist. Change is not evil. It is natural.
You can fight the change. You can hurt others in your battle. You can hurt yourself. That's your choice. YOUR choice. I will not claim the blame if you hurt yourself or others as you fight against the change in our country.
America is not over. America is changing. It has changed before. It will change again. Stasis is not found in nature and it's not found in society. It's not found in YOU, whether you are a Democrat or a Republican, and Independent or a Communist. Change is not evil. It is natural.
You can fight the change. You can hurt others in your battle. You can hurt yourself. That's your choice. YOUR choice. I will not claim the blame if you hurt yourself or others as you fight against the change in our country.
I will, however, start the kettle boiling if you'd like to come over for tea. And cookies. And maybe a screening of Friday. As long as you don't pin the Apocalypse on me.
9 comments:
Well said, Heather. It's time for the country to stop focusing on hating each other and finding ways to work together for our common good. That's actually what the Founding Fathers wanted, and that's a concept that should never change.
Yes, definitely well said. I agree the common good is at the heart of all of this and the majority chose the path that offered the plan we want to follow. I, personally, feel that respect should be given no matter the choice; however, it may be easier for me to say this because this was the path I voted for as well. I really wish people would push aside their bitterness and focus on the issues that affect us all (and you listed several good ones).
*stands up and claps*
If I can lend you some reassurance, on my personal FB profile over the last 24 hours a friend of mine and I, with several others joining in, had a FABULOUS engaging, both sides discussion. It's about 70 comments long. He started, gave his views and my FIRST response was "I love you, you know that..." and then gave my point by point counters. There is actually a fair bit of common ground if people will really TALK. But then he doesn't have that religious 'we'll go to hell otherwise' thing behind it. Man... no mystery why religion has been the number one cause of war through history, eh?
I adore you and your willingness to fight the good fight, even when people are being asshats.
Watching from another country (Canada), I've been taken aback at the stories I've heard from my US blog friends. It sounds like living in a verbal war zone. Wow.
So wonderfully said, as usual. I'm going to read this to my students next week. Love you, sweetie.
Mom
Love this. So much.
I am not scated or hurting about the results of the election I just pray he doesn't turn his back on my brother like he did thise 4 in Benghazi. I find it hard to accept your "sympathy" when it sounds so patrinuzing. The conservatives are 'active caring respinsibke cituzens' to and you voukd see that if you would stop looking at them like poor list sheep who need saving. Bless their harts. Also you list all suncereity when you called a former President an idiot. If you can't respect the human, respect the odfice.
The republican party needs to wake up and see that the people that they pandered to- conservative white males (and really all conservative southerners)- can not deliver them the election in this rapidly diversifying country. And they will not be able to deliver them the election in the future either. Maybe next time they won't pander to the extremist element of the republican party. Fear (and fear of change) is a weakness to be overcome.
Really, Ms. Batman? Really?
A of all, I don't look at you as a lost sheep. And with respect, part of the problem is that any time a conversation about politics starts, the other party can't IMAGINE that the opposite one is being honest. I truly feel sorry for the people who are scared and angry. You aren't (apparently), so I don't feel any sympathy for you. At all. Not a drop.
B of all, I don't think anybody needs saving. I think people need to stop treating each other poorly and save our country. It isn't up to me to save anybody else.
C of all, trust me when I say I am speaking with utmost sincerity when I say that George W. Bush is an idiot. He lied to Congress and the American people about the reasons we went to war in Iraq. He says the word "nucular" for "nuclear." I could go on and on. Also, in case you were wondering, I have VAST amounts of respect for the office of president and while W. was president, I tried to maintain that respect until March of 2006. Through the Patriot Act and Katrina, I tried. You can read about what ended that respect here: http://www.imnothannah.com/2006/03/i-want-to-piss-you-off.html
W. isn't president any more and I don't feel like I owe the man that he is now an ounce of respect. Sorry.
Now, if you want to have an intelligent conversation about what we can do to mend our country, bring it.
Post a Comment