Folks get all gaga about Spring: the flowers, the births, the pollen, and
bees, and the warmth. We’re dizzy and
excited with LIFE, eager to get out in the sun and feel the light on our
faces. I have friends that wallow their way through Summer and it's half-naked, beautiful fertility.
Autumn is not about that. Autumn is about…well, it’s about things
dying, really.
But WHAT a death!
What a glorious, rich, sensuous slide into cold and dark. The air is spicy with harvested pumpkins
being baked into pies and peanuts and pig being boiled and barbecued for
weekend fun. The beautyberry glows like
amethysts from the roadsides before becoming breakfast for migrating
birds. The leaves flame up their own
funeral pyres. The light is a golden
blanket you wrap around yourself against the chill.
You know what’s coming:
the cold of winter, the blankness of sky and tree and ground. And so you savor what is left to you. And you marvel that you are gifted with such
beauty and bounty.
That’s one of the reasons why I reconnect with my
spirituality during the Autumn. Because
even more than the nutty aliveness of Spring, the Autumn teaches me about what
it is to live—and to remember that life is transient and precious. It reminds me that others have left this
world before me and that they are just past my reach, close by and
present. It connects me to the idea that
we must store up our treasures and prepare for having less.
There’s also the idea of balance that comes with the equinox
(and yes, I understand that it comes a week before October…work with me
here.) There is a time when we aren’t
rushing toward dark or light: we can
just be still. In between cold and heat,
in between life and death, just…still and able to think of where you are in
that place and what you need to move on to the next place. I find it a comforting place to rest.
Of course, there’s college football…
What?
Y’all, I AM a Georgia Bulldog. It’s pretty much a religion around here, with
Vince Dooley being the patron saint and Mark Richt being the current
prophet. (Or demon, depending on the Tennessee score…)
The point of all this is that Autumn, and especially
October, makes me think about the bigger picture and the smaller one at the
same time. It’s the time of year when I
feel most whole and when I feel that anything is possible because almost
everything has happened over the course of the year.
Happy Fall, y’all!
May this Autumn find you happy and blessed and well-pleased with the
past year’s labors.
3 comments:
I TOTALLY get this. Fall is my favorite season, I think. I love spring, but there's something about the few crisp weeks in fall when everything is a riot of color and change that just *gets* me.
:)
Being born on the first full day of spring, I'm kind of attached to that season, but I do love autumn as well. As much, actually.
Summer is grand, and when winter shows up on a clear day, all stark and crisp, my heart does a little dance, but autumn... I love the way you described it, "What a glorious, rich, sensuous slide into cold and dark." That is pure awesomeness right there.
I just clicked over from the Samhain Sirens site and wanted to tell you that you did a marvelous job of describing Autumn.
Autumn is by far my favorite season and, you're right, it is about the finality of things...but may we all go out so gloriously!!
Post a Comment