Pages

Tuesday, May 05, 2020

A Morning in the Herb Garden

Actually, it's more like herb GARDENS, as I'm still trying to migrate all the various plants to where I feel they'll be happiest, which is probably a metaphor for...most things in my life, to be honest.

THERE IS A THEME HERE, PEOPLE.

Anywhoodles, the weekend was a day of garden work and then a weird and emotional day of baking, traveling, social distancing with my family for my daddy's birthday, and then traveling again. Saturday was the balm for my Sunday-battered soul. I miss my blood family, y'all. My first family. The people who have known me the longest. If I muse on this too much, I'll get all weepy, and who wants that?  (Nobody. The answer is nobody.)

So come with me on a little plant tour instead, will you?


The basket was a gift from my sil who knows I like to look like a wood elf as I tromp through my garden.

A wish for blueberries. Not technically an herb, but work with me, people.

Spicy oregano from two of my favorite people in the world via two of my favorite people in the world. Plants should have history, too. 

Is there a more gorgeous vegetable than eggplant?  There is not. (I know, also not an herb.)

LOOK! Two not-herbs. (But they're making my stomach growl, just the same.)

Every single one of the nightshades is gorgeous. (Some turn into yummy things and some kill you dead.)

Volunteer cinnamon basil. I will have a bumper crop of neglect-sown basil this year.

Horse mint or bee balm. Tastes like a combination between oregano and honey. 

Do NOT even tell me roses aren't herbs. Just don't.

Is there any herb more beautiful than lemon thyme? I'm gonna say no. 

 I'm basically addicted to taking pictures of dew on the edges of herb leaves. This is sage. Tell her she's pretty.

The basket after the tromp. If you click on the pic, you should be able to actually see the captions, which I thought were cute, right? There are only a few tiny sprigs of parsley and marjoram in the basket (it's early for those here) and I totally do NOT need to dry any rosemary since it's available all year round due to my very vigorous bushes, but I also wanted to be able to say that I had PARSLEY, SAGE, ROSEMARY, AND THYME in my basket.


Which I am now able to do. Woot! (It's the little things these days.)

If you're a blogger/former blogger interested in meeting new bloggers/getting back on the horse, please take a minute to check out the blogs over there to the right. Those with recent updates are joining me for a May-mester NaBloWriMo to get us all used to blogging/reading/commenting again. I'll be adding others as folks join us. Drop me a comment if you're interested or visit the NaBloWriMo FB page here for more info:  https://www.facebook.com/NaBloWriMo/


3 comments:

Karen said...

Oooh, boy howdy do I relate to the missing of the blood kin. Dang. But thank you for the romp through the garden. Tammie is currently up to her happy eyeballs in soil (not dirt), seeds, and thanks to a generous neighbor, a plethora of pots to put plants in.

Lemon thyme... glorious on chicken. Bee balm sounds heavenly. We have lemon balm trying to take over the pot it shares with some other herbs. Chocolate mint is keeping ants at bay, while forcing the wild strawberries to think twice about setting up camp in that bed.

Love the photos, m'dear. As usual they are gorgeous.

RamblingWords said...

Hannah, I loved the journey through your herb garden. It was such fun and your photos are wonderful. I am most impressed. Thank you for taking us with you. It was such a welcome respite. Take care and enjoy those little things...those, as you commented, really ARE what matter.

Not Hannah said...

K: A year later, I'm worrying about this all over again. Dang it.

RW: Thanks! I'm determined to get back to this place in my head and heart!